Friday, February 26, 2010

Snow, Snow, Snow!

Last night another snowstorm blew into my area. As I watched the snow swirl across the courtyard, it reminded me of something post-apocalyptic, something from a bad science fiction film. I wanted to yell, "Enough already! Bring me spring time and flowers." Even in the novel I'm currently writing, snow brings sadness and disaster. Two young sisters twirl and try to catch snowflakes on their tongues, shouting out different flavors they imagine the snowflakes taste like. Their reverie is interrupted by a grumpy father who tells them they are being silly. Later the older sister slashes her wrists, and as she is carried to an ambulance, one sister observes drops of blood in the snow.

Snow didn't always conjure up such negative images for me. I have some wonderful snow memories. Even though it's been almost three years and two moves since my dog died, I still expect him to bowl me over when I go to the door and announce, "It's snowing!" I remember one time I landed in the emergency room after playing in the snow with Shadow. I was shoveling the walk and tossing snowballs to him. He'd jump up in the air, catch the snowballs and chomp, chomp. I bent over to make another snowball when he head-butted me. He knocked me down. But I got up and continued shoveling and continued tossing him snowballs. Later I discovered I was bleeding, that I had a gash under my eye. I would spend a few hours in the emergency room getting stitches and a tetanus shot. The memory always makes me smile. Another time my kids and I spent several hours walking all over town as the snow fell. We chased each other, throwing snowballs, white-washing each other. We laughed so much that day. The snow was falling heavily, and we kept walking, barely cognizant of the cold. Hours later, we returned home wet from the snow and drank hot chocolate.

I guess it's age, or maybe I'm just tired of all the snow we've had so far this year, that I noticed my perspective has changed. I used to get excited whenever it snowed. I liked to sit on my porch and watch it fall, sprinkling the trees like powdered sugar. I couldn't wait to go out in the snow. Now I cocoon myself in an afghan and only go out if it's absolutely necessary.

What about you? How do you feel about snow? What are your memories about snow? Set your timer for fifteen minutes and freewrite about snow. Remember, no stopping to edit. Just write...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking the time to share this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me.
kendall dentist

Unknown said...

Hi , Today i was checking the Google absence waiting list account and i see your blog name there. when i search our blog i find that its very good quality data you have there, but it is my surprise that why users not coming to your blog , and to more disappoint i didn't see you getting more click's on gogle Advertisements. after seeing all this i cant stop myself from advising this, my friend i want to tell you to get a good traffic and good clicks on your blog , this way you can earn much good money, check out this site http://kosmoclub.webs.com/home.html and join them if you like, and don't worry about anything , its 100% trusted site, our 23% of user use it to get clicks and traffic on there site. i hope this site help you to earn minimum of 250$ every mont ( its my promise) and you can trust me .....
Admin (googIe team)

msg by helpdeskgogie@gmail.com

http://kosmoclub.webs.com/home.html

Rakib Naz said...

this is really an awesome and very helpfull blog... i followed into many of ur links... all of it is wonderfull.... and ur blog description describes me.... :)

so i sall be very grateful if u visit my blog and leave a critism/hate/love/comment on my writing:

http://lalnilgolpo.blogspot.com